Top 7 Halloween safety tips from an insurance broker’s perspective.
That spooky time of year is fast approaching. Pretty soon the streets and your property will be crawling with witches, goblins, and werewolves. Our kids will be trick or treating in their fabulous costumes looking to fill up their buckets/pillowcases with all the candy they can get their hands on.
As a property owner, you need to do your job to make sure Halloween is a safe experience for all the kids. By making your premises safe you will also help avoid any potential liability lawsuit.
Here are the top 7 tips to having a safe Halloween:
1. Turn your lights on. This will encourage trick or treaters to come to your door for some candy while increasing visibility.
2. Clear a pathway for easy access to your doorstep. While scary and chilling decorations are certainly appreciated, and it contributes to the fun of Halloween, keep them out of your pathway to avoid any tripping accidents.
3. Don’t use decorations with sharp edges that could potentially harm a curious child.
4. If you have stairs/railings that lead up to the entrance of your home ensure that they are secure to avoid any accident.
5. Try using LED lights instead of candles for lighting up decorations. This can help avoid potential fire and is more efficient if you plan to use the decorations again.
6. Keep your pets in a safe place. Halloween can be a stressful time for pets and the last thing anyone wants is for an accident to happen involving a child and a pet.
7. Finally, if you are on the road while kids are trick or treating please drive slow and be aware of your surroundings at all times. Kids are excited and often dart into the road to get to the next house. Be ready and drive safe.
Have a safe and spooky Halloween!